Your car has two types of filters, the cabin air filter and the air filter. Here's how you know when to replace them and how to actually perform the replacement.
Engine air filter
- First, you can check your engine air filter by opening the air filter box, and pulling the filter out. If it looks clean, and free of dirt and dust, you do not need to replace it. If it is quite dirty, it is time to replace the filter.
- Some symptoms of an air filter that needs to be replaced are: a check engine light, slightly lower gas mileage, and and sounds coming from within the engine.
- Check your cabin filter by removing the glove box from it’s fasteners, loosening it enough for you to check or remove the filter. This filter gets dirty from insects, dirt, dust, plants and more! It’s important to keep this clean. If the filter is not clean, it should be replaced.
Some symptoms that a cabin air filter needs to be replaced are: noise when turning on the AC or heating, reduced airflow, or bad odours.
Engine air filter
- Consult your car’s manual to locate the air filter box, then secure your car, open your hood, and safely open the air filter box. Remove it, and replace it with an original (OEM) part, or one of higher quality for maximum performance. Close the filter box, and you’ll be well on your way.
- Again, consult your manual for instructions on unfastening your glove box, and then open to by pulling it down slowly. The filter should be visible as soon as you open it. Inspect the filter, then remove it. You may be shocked at what you find inside — we recommend wearing a pair of gloves for this, as the air filter can pick up all kinds of debris. Ensure you’re replacing your filter with an OEM part or one of higher performance, as it’s important for your own health, safety, and experience while driving your vehicle.
Your engine filter helps keep debris out and ensures your car gets the best quality air for combustion, so upgrading and replacing it can have more significant effects than you might have thought. You may see better fuel efficiency, a healthier engine, and a slightly faster vehicle! The air filter help keeps you safe, especially if you have allergies. This lets the best quality air into your car, and helps protect against pollution and irritants, both inside and out of your vehicle.
Have questions, or need a car repair? Have your car inspected by a Fiix mechanic right away or ask us anytime.